This is the earliest known photograph of
Laugharne RFC team. This was taken in 1893/94, outside Sea View Laugharne,
which was then the club's headquarters. Two of the gentlemen standing
at the back have been identified as Towers Smith and Edmund Hurt-Peel,
who probably helped to found the club. We have not yet been able to identify
the players.... no-one in the town knows what their grandparents looked
like when they were teenagers.
Rugby football is the Welsh National game. Most villages have their own team. Rivalry is often intense, running from one generation to another
Laugharne is one of the oldest clubs, having been formed in
1893, and is currently playing in Division Three (West) in the Welsh
For many years both First and Second XVs, and in some years
Youth XVs as well, have played at Wooford Park which is also home to
Laugharne Cricket Club.
This arrangement will now become permanent as a result of an
agreement between Laugharne Rugby Club, Laugharne Corporation, the
governors of Laugharne Church of England Primary School and the owners
of Wooford estate, Paul and Bethan Thomas.
Mr and Mrs Thomas are donating the freehold of the playing fields to Laugharne Athletic Club (parent body for both clubs) as part of a development package supported by the town. The will also provide affordable homes for local people, homes for the open market and land to extend the School playground.
The Thomases are also donating a strip of land to Carmarthenshire
County Council to provide a footpath between Orchard Park and Broadway
and will receive from Mr and Mrs Thomas the woodland known locally
as Dickies Milks Wood (click
here), which will be opened as a public footpath.
For more on the history of Laugharne Rugby Club, click here . To access their website with fixture details & reports of recent games (click here)